The following green practises have been in place for a number of years:
- Digital radiography, which results in reduced radiation exposure to the patient and the removal of the use of harmful chemicals in processing X-rays.
- Responsible disposal of biological and amalgam waste through the correct channels.
- Steam and heat sterilisation (instead of chemical sterilisation), hence improving sterilisation processes and reducing the use of toxic chemicals.
- Use of low-flow taps to save water.
- Split-bin system to separate waste and recycling.
- Use of South Australian laboratories for dentures, crowns and bridges to ensure high-quality craftsmanship and materials, while minimising transport emissions.
Since taking over the business late last year, Will has also made a number of changes to ensure the business has a greener future. Applying the philosophy of rethink, reduce, reuse, recycle, we have implemented the following:
- Substitution of disposable plastic consumables (e.g., water cups, bibs) with biodegradable or recyclable materials.
- Substitution of single-use disposable instruments with sterilisable, reusable instruments, which reduces waste.
- Digitisation of patient records to reduce paper use.
- Encouraging SMS and Email correspondence to minimise paper use.
- Printing our business cards locally and on paper that has 100% post-consumer waste recycled content, is carbon neutral and is FSC certified.